Thanksgiving is a time of togetherness and thankfulness. It’s also a holiday everyone knows for its turkey dinner and delicious dessert. As an athlete, it’s important to stay healthy while eating Thanksgiving meals. Below, you will find several tips that can help you during this time of year. If you are searching for a personal trainer in Raleigh NC this holiday season, call CrossFit Invoke! Our Raleigh personal trainers care about your health and nutrition.
- Staying active will help you, even if you slip up and eat one too many desserts. Plan a time to work out before your meals and slip in an extra one if you can. That way, even if you do eat more than you should, you’ll be able to compensate with exercise.
- Make sure you continue drinking water before the meal, during and after. If you’re hydrated you won’t eat as much as you would if you’re dehydrated.
- Most of us think that skipping breakfast and lunch in order to make up for eating too much at dinnertime is helpful. However, eating normally throughout the day will be much better than trying to conserve calories by not eating. Eating normal meals will help keep you from eating too much all at once.
- If you’re thinking of having a second helping but know you shouldn’t, wait 15 minutes. Then, your body will have a chance to realize how much it’s eaten and you may not want the second helping after all.
- After your meal, take a walk. This can help get the blood flowing so that your digestion is working at a maximum.
- Drink a cup of peppermint tea after meals, as well. It’s a great way to help your digestion and it could curb your sweet tooth.
- Portion control is something everyone should practice. Athletes especially should do so for their Thanksgiving meal. Try sticking with 3 ounces of protein, a potato serving that’s the size of a typical computer mouse, a cup of veggies that’s the size of a baseball, one dinner roll and only 1 tablespoon of butter.
Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s Thanksgiving after all! Of course, we’re all going to eat more than we should and indulge in a dessert or two. But, remembering these tips and trying to stay active throughout the holiday will help make sure you stay as healthy as possible during this time of year.
Holiday Personal Trainer in Raleigh NC
Are you looking for a great facility and coaches to help you with your health goals this fall? Call CrossFit Invoke today. We offer personalized fitness training in Raleigh for people of all ages. If you’re serious about getting healthy in the new year, know that we can help. We even offer free fitness classes so you can try us out before you make a commitment. At Invoke, you can even sign up for group sessions with your friends. This way you can all hold each other accountable while training at our fitness center in Raleigh.
Please call our Raleigh gym with any questions, or just drop by the box. Our fitness center in Raleigh NC is located just right outside of the downtown area.